Monday, June 27, 2011

Scotlyn Kathleen Is Here!

We're so excited to announce that Scotlyn is here!


We went in last Wednesday (June 22nd) for our scheduled induction at 39 weeks and 1 day pregnant. We got there like 15 minutes early because we thought dropping Londyn off with my visiting teacher (Thanks, Cheryl!), would make her lose it. Instead, she did awesome and was so zoned in on Toy Story, she didn't even notice we left! We were relieved that she didn't throw a fit, but I teared up knowing that was the last time I was going to see her as my little baby. It was very bittersweet.

Here's my last belly shot, hours before Scotlyn was here!


We got to the hospital at 7:15 am and they got everything rolling pretty fast. They got the IV in and of course, I almost passed out because I'm a big weinie like that. Hehe. They checked me right before starting the Pitocine and I was already 3 cm dilated and 70% effaced. Considering I was only a 2 the day before and 50% effaced, I think it was completely possible that labor was imminent whether I was being induced or not.

Anyway, I waited on the epidural because I was really nervous about it, which I'm not sure why I was because it didn't bug me last time. I got it around 10 am and I was 5-6 cm dilated before I got it and I really wasn't hurting at all. I was just uncomfortable because the contractions were making it hard to breathe, but completely bearable. The nurse told me it would take an hour from the time I said "go" to get an anesthesiologist in the room, so I decided to go before it really hurt and I really needed it. This time it really hurt to get it and I don't remember any pain at all when I got it with Londyn.

After I got the epidural, I got SUPER tired and slept basically until right before she came. The doctor came in one time and said I was at a 7 and said she wasn't dropping like she needed her to, so I sat up and went back to sleep until I felt a TON of pressure that woke me up, out of breath. The nurse didn't believe me and took forever to get in the room and check to see where I was. When she got there, she said I was almost complete and just had a half cm to go, but when I shifted my hips a little, she fell and I was dying to push. They were trying to get my doctor to come over from her office and while waiting, they made me stop pushing.

Now, here's the best part. The epidural wore off at pushing time. AT PUSHING TIME! Seriously!? With Londyn, I didn't feel anything. NOTHING. This time was extremely different. If you've had a baby, you know when it's time to push, if someone says to stop, it's like telling you to stick a knife in your body and tear your pelvis open with your hands (sorry if that's too graphic; just trying to set the stage). It hurt like crazy and I'm pretty good with pain. I HATE showing people when I'm hurting and normally refuse to cry in front of people. But, I was yelling, crying, and trying to catch my breath at this point.

Erik saw all this and had been loading up on sugar all morning. He started to get all woozy and they made him sit down because he was either about to pass out or throw up. The nurses said he was white as a ghost. He said it was from seeing me in so much pain that messed him up so bad. He was able to get back up pretty quick, though. He grabbed a leg, along with my mom and the doctor finally showed up to finish this birth. After I was able to start pushing, it took 5 minutes and she was here.

She has a full head of hair and she's pretty hairy all over the place. She came out weighing 8lbs 5 oz and measuring 20 1/4 inches long at 3:34pm.





She looked so much like Londyn at first, but now we see a lot of Erik in her. She's definitely a Sanders girl! She's very laid back and spends most of the day sleeping. She's doing awesome with nursing, which is awesome because Londyn wouldn't have a thing to do with it which ended with me pumping for her for 2 months.


Londyn's adjusting to her and got to sit in Erik's lap and hold her for the first time today. She hasn't shown very much interest in her up until today. She's liked looking at her for a few minutes each day and actually kissed her goodnight before bed last night.



It's been awesome having two kids and we haven't had any crazy overwhelming moments, yet. Erik has been awesome at being here and helping me with Londyn and as much as he can with Scotlyn. We're so happy to have our family of four!

Here she is at 3 days old

3 comments:

My Mind and Its Musings said...

Your gorgeous family. Thanks so much for this beautiful posting, Karen.

Love you, Nana

Patty Girl said...

Sorry about your epidural! Talk about bad timing. But it sounds like everything went really well and very smooth. I loved seeing Erik's updates all day. And how cute is Erik about seeing you in pain?

Scotlyn is so beautiful! What a cute little chunker! We are so happy for you! Congrats!

Meece said...

Yikes, girl! I'm so sorry about the epidural. You're such a trooper. But yay that Scotlyn is finally here! I can't, can't, can't wait to meet her! Way to go!