Hey everyone, this isn't so much a family update, but rather something I've experienced and have been thinking about the past couple of days.
While I was doing a normal routine thing the other day, and had to throw something in the garbage, I noticed myself complaining about having to throw it away because I would have to step on the lower part of the garbage to toss it, so I left it on the counter. After a couple of steps, I thought about how ridiculous I sounded. It would literally take me no more than 3 seconds to set my foot down and drop something into the trash can. I've come to realize that I have been holding myself back, not because the task seemed to strenuous, or that I was unable to do it, but because it would take me seconds longer to do it! Now I am catching myself, taking time to do things that would take a little bit longer, but form a better habit.
So this week, I dedicated myself to doing things that I usually wouldn't because I stopped myself. I cleaned out mine and Karen's room(4 hours, let me tell you what, we had a MESSY room), cleaned and vacuumed both of our cars, did more dishes, took out the trash, WD-40'd the hinges that sounded squeaky. And let me tell you what...it felt GREAT! It was worth all the extra time and effort put into the tasks. My wife was happy, and her life easier, my in-laws were able to relax some more because they didn't have to worry about dishes or trash, and it made me feel good that I was the one who could help out.
So, I have a challenge for anyone reading this: Think about something you could do for someone or yourself that you wouldn't do before because it would take seconds or even minutes longer. Let me know what you did and how you felt afterwards, I want to know how much your seconds of time helped you or another person.
Remember, in just a matter of seconds you can...
Make your wife/husband smile
Makes someones life easier, even if for a day
Call a friend or family member just to ask how they are or if they need anything
Create confidence in yourself
Create good habits.
Thank you for reading to my rant. Enjoy your day and your family =)
4 comments:
i think that's an awesome self discovery that you made, and way to go for recognizing it and doing something about it! that really says alot about your character that you're willing to look at things that could make you better. good man.
i accept the challenge:)
Um, Joana seems to have extracted my thoughts right out of my brain. :) I totally agree with her. Kudos to you, Airrock! I accept the challenge, too. :D
Who is this, and what did you do with Erik! There's a Hymn that goes along with what you're saying, "Have I done any good?... Have I helped anyone in need, Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?... Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure, a blessing of duty and love. I try to teach my children that serving, and doing things for others lightens our own burdens, and brings joy and happiness into our life, and the the lives of those we serve. Tyler Mons
Yes, who are you and what have you done with my son?
Never mind my son, I will keep you!
Erik, you are such an awesome kid. I think it is wonderful that you are trying to serve more and you are learning that procrastination is a lot more of work in the end.
I have something to share with you. I have been thinking the same thing. I work with the Young Women in the church and I have been meaning to write one of them that I have noticed how she has changed her attitude and how she always offer to help and how fun she is to be around. I thought of it for about 2 weeks and today , even though it was not easy to stop and do it,( I am still studying like crazy) I did it!
You are right. I felt great when I put the card in the mail.
Maybe she won't care, but it made me feel good that I did it.
I felt a warmth in my heart, and I know that is the Holy Ghost testifying to me that I did something good today.
And you made my day with your comment. Thanks for sharing. I love you.
Mom
Post a Comment