Last night, on my way home from a meeting, I was thinking about all the awesome things I have in my life and started to feel so grateful for all the opportunities I'm presented with each and every day.
At church, I have a calling as one of the Activity Days leaders. If you don't know what Activity Days is, it's where we meet with the girls ages 8-11 two Wednesdays out of the month for an hour to do an activity based on Jesus Christ and becoming more like Him, following his example, and applying the gospel to the girls' lives. We also do some activities that are meant to help the girls learn some life skills like sewing, budgeting, and cooking.
I had a meeting last night with my co-leader to plan the next couple months activities. On my way home, I couldn't help but think about how awesome it is that we get to be involved in these girls' lives, even for just 2 hours for 2 Wednesdays out of the month. It's so cool to think that I'm helping teach these girls such important things in their lives and having fun with them all at the same time.
Having the knowledge of Jesus Christ and the gospel in my life is such a great thing and it helps me so much when I feel like I'm about to lose it or I feel like I'm losing control on life. It's helped me more than I can explain in being able to let go of my stress and let Heavenly Father share my burdens. The power of prayer has helped me more than I can even begin to express.
If it's done this much for me, imagine what it's doing for these young girls who are at the age where peer pressure, low self esteem, and school work is taking a huge toll on them. They know they have more than friends, siblings, parents, or Activity Day leaders to lean on. They have the most powerful beings there are, who already know them and know how to listen and help. They have a Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ who know exactly what lies inside their hearts. That is an exceptional gift to mankind, but especially young girls.
I am so grateful to be a part of teaching these girls how to pray and to make a habit of it. I am so grateful to be able to teach these girls about the life of Jesus Christ and to help them follow it. I can't imagine a bigger blessing than this.
Every single time I have a meeting about Activity Days, I walk away filled with so much happiness and such sensitivity to the Spirit. There can't be anything greater than that.
I'm so grateful for my family. I have the sweetest little girl (although, she's been a handful the past week) and the most kind and loving husband I could ever ask for. They love me so unconditionally, even when I'm not being the easiest to love.
Everyday, Londyn makes me laugh and gives me the biggest hugs and kisses almost anytime I ask for them and sometimes, just because she wants to (my favorite). She's definitely her own little person and has become Miss Independent, lately. She is not interested in me making her hold my hand when we walk through parking lots or at the library. She's a big girl, didn't you know?
Her little giggle and goofy laugh make my day and no matter how much she wears me out. At the end of the day, when I get that goodnight kiss after family prayer, it washes everything away and makes every bit of stress and exhaustion absolutely worth it.
Erik is definitely the single most funny person I know. That man makes me laugh more than anyone else has or ever could. He would do anything for us and is so great at taking care of me and Londyn. He told me last night when we hooked up our new internet box "I'm so happy that we have this because I know it makes your life easier in being able to do the things you need to do on the internet." Now tell me, is that not the most selfless thing you've ever heard a man say? He's always thinking about everyone else and I appreciate him so much for this awesome quality he holds.
He's also the best dad you've ever seen. He loves Londyn and Scotlyn so much and makes sure every single morning before he goes to work that he gives all three of us kisses. If he forgets, he will literally walk back up 3 flights of stairs and make sure he does it.
There are so many other things I'm grateful for and I wish I had more time to type about them, but I'm sure my life isn't THAT interesting to you. Haha. But really, I'm trying to fit in this blog post before Londyn wakes up from her nap. :)
Thanks for listening, though and I hope everyone's week goes great!
3 comments:
How could I ever be too busy to read a testimony like that one, Karen? I'm so proud of your faith in God through Christ. And I'm also proud that you love and appreciate your family so very much. I have learned through 72 years of living that family is truly everything in this life. I know God will bless your efforts in behalf of these girls and your witness for Him.
I love you,
Nana C
How could I ever be too busy to read a testimony like that one, Karen? I'm so proud of your faith in God through Christ. And I'm also proud that you love and appreciate your family so very much. I have learned through 72 years of living that family is truly everything in this life. I know God will bless your efforts in behalf of these girls and your witness for Him.
I love you,
Nana C
Your comments make my day. What beautiful thoughts. I'm so proud of you. Love, Nana
Post a Comment