I remember waking up that morning and being very chill and VERY stuffed up. I was freaking out thinking I wasn't going to be able to breathe all day and would sound like a sick old man while saying "I do". Luckily, it all cleared up and I started to get nervous.
More than 75 sets of eyes were going to be on me and Erik that evening. I remember panicking every time I thought about all those people staring at us.
I had asked Erik not to communicate with me at all until we were at the alter but, that definitely didn't happen and I'm glad it didn't. Hehe. He texted me that morning telling me how sure he was about that decision we had made and how excited he was to have me as his wife, that night. It was one of the sweetest texts I ever got and I wish I had written it down word for word in my wedding book. I hope I never ever forget exactly how I felt the minute I saw that text.
While I spent hours getting my hair and make up done, Erik peacefully played video games with his brothers and kept himself super calm. How he did that, I have no idea. I was calm until my stylist starting putting on my make up and finishing the last touches before I headed back to my house to pick up my dress before going to the chapel. And then, I started to freak out.
We got to the chapel before they even opened it because I was so scared of being late. I never saw Erik before the wedding and was so worried that he would be late (which was absurd and I knew it, but was too anxious to think enough to realize how ridiculous that idea really was).
When they told me he was there, I was panicking. I had just squeezed into my wedding dress with a lot of help from my bridesmaids, mom, and a few safety pins. Haha. I remember sitting there, legs bouncing, hands fidgeting, and sweating...A LOT. All I was thinking was "Hurry up, Time! We need to get this show on the road!"
When they told us it was time to get set up and in place, I remember telling my dad over and over and over how nervous I was. I didn't know how it was going to feel and if you know me, I'm a planner and I like to know exactly how everything is going to work and how it's going to feel and how everyone is going to be reacting and meshing. This was so hard to grasp and I had no clue because this would be the first and last time I would ever experience this event as a bride! How could I have any clue?
I never doubted I was making the right decision. Not once. Especially in those last minutes before I made my stroll towards Erik.
Meanwhile, while we were setting up behind the doors, Erik was pacing back and forth, back and forth over and over and chewing on his lips. He told me he wasn't nervous, but pictures of him as blurs claimed otherwise. Hehe.
The music started and our parents, Erik's sister, our grandparents, and my great grandpa were being escorted down the aisle by my cousins. Then, my bridesmaids started walking down the aisle.
AND THEN, It was time. I heard "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" start and my heart was pounding so hard. I have no idea how I didn't pee my pants. The doors opened and I started walking down the aisle with my dad and I will never forget seeing Erik. He was all I saw. All those eyes focused on me and my dad never crossed my mind in that minute. He was crying so hard with a big smile on his face and I was smiling so big back.
Finally being able to hold his hands at the alter and knowing that we were about to say the words that would bind us together for the rest of our lives was the most incredible feeling and it was finally happening after months of me dreaming about what that day would feel like.

Earlier, I said we would say "I do" that day. But, technically, we never said "I do". The pastor had the sweetest vows ever and I really don't remember exactly what we said. But, I know there was no "I do". It was way unique. And we loved it.
We said our vows, were claimed man and wife, kissed the sweetest kiss and danced our way back down the aisle.

That day was the best day of my life until the day Londyn was born. I will never ever, ever forget that day. EVER. We made a decision and we promised to love each other for forever and I can tell you since that day, I have only learned to love him more. We've gone through so much together in our two short years as man and wife, but we have only grown closer and learned to love deeper.

I hope I didn't bore you to death. I was reflecting about that day and really wanted it written down, just in case I forget a few details. :)
3 comments:
These lovely words shuld be put into your wedding book and read by your both on every anniversary. You are a talented and inspired writer, Karen. Keep at it.
With love, Nana C
This is precious. I'm happy you recorded not only for yourself, but for us. I was very touched.
You have no idea how happy I am that you are part of our family!
Love ya!
oh, looks like I'm signed in under Tyler. He loves you too though :)
Post a Comment