I was reading President Packer's talk, "And a Little Child Shall Lead Them" and I wanted to talk about a few things that stood out to me so much.
"One of the greatest discoveries of parenthood is that we learn far more about what really matters from our children than we ever did from our parents. We come to recognize the truth in Isiah's prophecy that 'a little child shall lead them.'"
That quote was so incredible to me because it's so ridiculously true. I've learned so much about the innocence of a child among a million other things. Londyn is amazing at reminding me when I need to calm down and collect myself by telling "not nice, Mommy" when she can tell I'm getting wound up. She reminds me how important it is to start her's and Scotlyn's lives as healthy as possible, but also to slow down, stop cleaning, and sit and play with them with, "Come on, Mom. Sit and play!" She teaches me every single day how important she and Scotlyn are to guide and teach.
Our innocence is so important to hold on to. I haven't been a great example of that in my life, but it's definitely on my top ten "to become like" list. When people ask me why we aren't allowed to watch rated-R movies, listen to provocative music, read nasty books or consume alcohol, I have a hard time coming up with an answer that they would be able to completely understand. I always answer with "We try to keep ourselves sensitive to the spirit and to be able to do that, we need to keep our thoughts as pure as possible.". It's not always so easy to understand for others because not everyone believes the things I do.
I've always heard the verse about becoming like a little child, but for some reason, reading it this time brought me to tears. The words came off the page like never before.
He says:
"In Jerusalem, 'Jesus called a little child unto him and set him in the midst of them,
And said, Verily I say unto you,
Except ye be converted, and become
as little children, ye shall not enter into
the kingdom of heaven.
Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as the little child, the same is
greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
Jesus said, Suffer little children,
and forbid them not, to come unto
me: for of such is the kingdom of
heaven.
And he laid his hands on them,
and departed thence.'"
It's so important to cling to the gospel and keep ourselves as clean as possible and our minds clear for a number of reasons, but mostly because the Holy Spirit can only help guide us if we keep our minds clean of destructive thoughts. We learn how much Christ and Heavenly Father love us not only through scripture, but through the Holy Ghost. Reading scriptures is also important because revelation can also be found in it's words, but feeling myself guided and impressed upon by the Spirit is like the warmest arms being wrapped around me by my heavenly family.
I forget sometimes how important that is to me how important it is to keep myself worthy of receiving help in that way. Heavenly Father and Christ both yearn to give it to us, but we can't get that without doing our part. It's something I'm working on making the largest priority in my life.
The Spirit guides me so much when I feel like I have no idea what to do to help Londyn progress or to calm Scotlyn down when she's teething. It helps Erik and I know whether or not we should make some of the biggest decisions in our lives. It helps keep the atmosphere of our home warm and filled with love.
It is
so.
so.
so important.

2 comments:
That was wonderful to read and such a good reminder for all of us... Thank you for sharing.
Karen,
That was really beautiful. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and testimony.
Johnny
Post a Comment