I've made a really hard decision today. And that decision would be to leave the Facebook world.
I've thought about this a lot over the last couple weeks and after a very insightful conversation with my sisters in law, it seems more and more like the right thing to do. There are a number of reasons for me to do so and they all have everything to do with my kids and my husband.
I find that I worry entirely too much about what is going on in other people's lives and it takes away from the attention I should be devoting to my kids and my own responsibilities. I haven't lost it and become addicted to Facebook. That's not what I'm saying at all. But all those little glances and moments spent scrolling through my news feed add up and by the end of the day, I realize that those 15 minute intervals add up to a lot bigger amount of time than I ever intended. Looking at a screen for that long to look and see what other people are saying is not worth what it costs me.
Those are minutes I should be spending learning more about my kids and enriching their lives.
I love my friends and I care about each one of them more than I can tell you, but I care about how my kids remember me a whole lot more than what someone thought about me "liking" their status or pictures.
It's not worth it.
So.
I've decided I will blog. A lot more.
I will one day be able to print my blog off and make it into a book for my kids to read. That's much better to me than letting them click through my "timeline" and find out how I felt about them throughout their lives. They'll have a physical book that will show them exactly who I was and what kind of mother I wanted and tried to be for them. Hopefully, they'll read this one day and see that they meant more to me than being socially normal.
I'm back, blogging world!
6 comments:
Way to go Karen! I want an invite! Keep me in the loop!
I want an invite too!!
kara.s.barnard@gmail.com
I definitely want an invite:
prettyinpink83085@yahoo.com
Yay for you, friend! I guarantee you won't miss it and blogging is way better for the reason that you usually put more meaningful stuff on it because it takes a little longer and like you said, you can have it made into a book. I will send you an invite if you'll send an invite to me! I keep forgetting to send you one so now I will. Can't wait to blog-stalk you! (two boars).
way to go karen! you're such a good mom. i swear you've got the insight of a woman who has raised all her kids! those sweet girls and erik are lucky to have you:)
I'm proud of you! I agree with Joana, you do have incredible maturity and insight. Thanks for your great example! Love you.
Post a Comment