Sunday, February 6, 2011

Judgment

judg·ment
[juhj-muhnt]
–noun

1. an act or instance of judging.
2. the ability to judge, make a decision, or form an opinion objectively, authoritatively, and wisely, especially in matters affecting action; good sense; discretion: a man of sound judgment.
3.the demonstration or exercise of such ability or capacity: The major was decorated for the judgment he showed under fire.
4. the forming of an opinion, estimate, notion, or conclusion, as from circumstances presented to the mind: Our judgment as to the cause of his failure must rest on the evidence.
5. the opinion formed: He regretted his hasty judgment.
6. Law
a judicial decision given by a judge or court.
b. the obligation, especially a debt, arising from a judicial decision.
c. the certificate embodying such a decision and issued against the obligor, especially a debtor.

7. a misfortune regarded as inflicted by divine sentence, as for sin.
8. ( usually initial capital letter ) Also called Last Judgment, Final Judgment. the final trial of all people, both the living and dead, at the end of the world.
When I typed in "judgment" into dictionary.com, these were my results. It's funny how one little word can have so many very different meanings, huh?
I consider myself to be a very accepting person. I've known many people from very different walks of life and I feel like I've generally been pretty accepting of who they are as wholes. I love people and really do want to love everyone fully, inside and out. But, I find myself all too often taking it upon myself to judge others' decisions and actions. Why? I don't know why. I don't place myself above them or claim to be better....so why do I judge?
I've always had a hard time with trusting people because like everyone, I've had my fair share of trust being trampled on and disregarded. I'm wary of people and I desperately envy people who love someone so fully and whole heartedly, until given a reason to pull back. Oh, how I would LOVE to be like that.
It's something I struggle with every single day and I have a constant personal debate of where the line between observation and judgment falls.
Is it an observation or judgment to watch someone else's parenting skills and decide what I do and don't like about it and whether or not I will or will not use them?
Is it judgment to create an opinion about someone based on the way they treat you?
Is it judgment to try and pick apart someone's actions to figure out why they are the way they are?
Is it judgment to see someone at the store who's wearing clothes that definitely don't fit and to think, "Please put some more clothes on."?
I have the hardest time with this question.
There are obviously cases where there's no doubt when judgment is being used. I have to stop myself all too often and then beat myself up about it later when I do it.
As a young mom who didn't do things the conventional way, I'm sure I've had my fair sure of judgment and probably continue to on a daily basis from strangers and probably some friends. <---That fact alone should make me even more accepting and loving towards every single person I meet, no matter what the circumstance or background. I know what it's like and I feel it every day, although I have learned to tune it out and ignore it because I'm finally in a place where I realize that I'm very happy, my family is very happy, I'm doing my best, I make my family happy, and my life is pretty amazing.
After all, all these little judgments and presumptions that we make of each other are only going to build up against us when definition #8 happens, right?
Our judgments aren't the ones that matter, so why do it?
My new daily goal: See people and love them no matter what. No matter how they act towards me. Just love them.

2 comments:

My Mind and Its Musings said...

That's a very Godly goal, Karen, and if you ask Him each day, He will help you achieve it.

Good stuff.

Love you, Nana

Dyanna Stephens said...

That is a very good goal... and definitely an inspiration to all of us. I know I have problems judging others at times, but you are right in that we should always try to love everyone and leave the judging up to the only one whose decision matters --- our Heavenly Father.
Thank you for this post.