Thursday, February 3, 2011

Snow Day # 4 Commences Tomorrow


^That is the fountain outside of our apartment. Crazy, huh?

We're on day #3, but it's safe to say that tomorrow there probably won't be any school for anyone, either. It's only 2:40 in the afternoon and already, 44 major school districts and colleges are closing down in preparation for tomorrow, including the community college Erik and I go to, who has just announced that they're canceling classes on Saturday, also. We're expected more snow tonight and tomorrow with a high of 29! I have NEVER seen this happen in Texas! Where in the world did this come from!? And this just inned: We're expected more snow and wintry mix on Monday and Wednesday next week. I guess us, Texans are going to start getting used to this crazy northern weather!
ERCOT ordered rolling black outs to start across the entire state of Texas, yesterday. They're trying to keep the energy grid balanced to avoid groups of people from being without power for long periods of time. Luckily, it didn't hit us yesterday, but a lot of people around us were without power for what was supposed to be 10-15 minutes, which turned into 2 hours or more. We've been working on conserving energy and staying warm in preparation for possible black outs.
It's funny how I've watched person after person, just one week ago, PRAY for this winter wonderland and now the entire server is littered with statuses like "I have cabin fever! I need to go back to school!" and "I hate this weather!". I, on the other hand, love this. But, I don't actually have to go out in it and am fine being inside until Saturday. It also hasn't ruined any plans that I had besides Activity Days on Wednesday.
I have a great story for you too! One of my Facebook friends but something up about how her and her boyfriend boiled some water to go outside and throw it up in the air. Apparently, when it's this cold it turns to snow. I thought, "Wow! That's really cool! I want to try!"
When Erik got home, I told him all about it and was so excited and he thought it sounded like a cool idea too, although he didn't have the faith I had that it would work. So, I started boiling water and gave Erik a cup of it real quick to run outside and throw in the air.
We must of done something wrong because it didn't turn out so well. Erik threw the cup in the air.....right down the stair well and it definitely did not turn to snow. It caused even more ice all the way down the stairs. BUT! We failed once, but we were determined to try again.
We decided that we didn't do it in a cold enough place so I gave Erik more boiling water and he ran down to the grass in front of our building, where he threw the water as high as he could and put his entire body into slinging it around! Oh it was great to watch! Unfortunately, it didn't turn into snow. Erik just looked like a super excited person throwing water in the air with a goofy smile on his face. I was up in the apartment watching out the window DYING laughing. It was great.
The conclusion is: Either that theory is made up or we did something really wrong. Haha.
I wish I had a video to share because it was absolutely priceless to watch Erik execute something that sounded really cool, but ended up being a flop.
That's my story of the day!
In other news, we filed our taxes last night and we're looking at a nice tax return that will help pay off a big fat hospital bill we got in the mail yesterday along with some debt. When we move, we'll be able to start fresh and debt free which is the best feeling in the world! We're so excited!
Speaking of moving, we're still looking at early April. I just realized the other night that I'll be 28 weeks pregnant if we move the first week of April. That's only 9 weeks from now! How in the world did I get this pregnant this fast!? I'm just hoping this move doesn't kick my butt. I'm already worrying about packing and getting things ready to move and we haven't even signed a lease or locked in a rate yet. We're still watching for the lowest rate possible, but it hasn't happened yet. It's only been a week, though and this weather has had our leasing office closed with no updates, until today.
Anywho, we'll keep you updated on this insane weather and who knows, maybe we'll be snowed in, in the morning and Erik will claim one more day of personal time in order to avoid our frozen parking lot.
Stay warm!

1 comment:

My Mind and Its Musings said...

I would just have loved to be present during the boiling water throwing experiment. I wonder how many people in your apartment complex were able to view that event. So funnnnny. Thanks for a newsy addition to your blog. I enjoy hearing from and about you and your family.

Love you, Karen, Nana C.